The Ice Maker machines come at the different sizes and prices. There are two main ice maker machines, i.e., Portable and Undercounter Ice Makers. Both of the machines do the same work but have some technical differences. In this post, we are going to discuss the Portable Ice Makers vs. the Undercounter Ice Makers.
What is a Portable Ice Maker?
As the name suggests, the Portable Ice Maker is small and compact ice maker machine. When you are willing to have the constant supply of Ice while traveling, then the Portable Ice Maker machines come to your rescue. The Portable Ice Maker machines are cheap, mobile and light-weight. As they are light-weight, it is easy to carry them anywhere. Suppose if you are going for a road trip in RV, then carrying a Portable Ice Maker in RV is not a big deal.
A Portable Ice Maker machine is only supposed to make Ice Cubes within a short amount of time. Most of the Ice Maker machines, especially Portable ice makers are enough fast in freezing the water and making ice cubes. Many good Portable machines can make ice cubes within 6 minutes. That’s pretty insane because in six minutes you can’t even properly pour drinks for ten guests.
The Portable Ice Maker machines can quickly produce up to 22-28 pounds of ice each day. That’s enough ice for a party of 10 people or a small home bar. The Portable Machines don’t support the Water supply facility. But, they have the inbuilt reservoir to store the water. You just have to put the water in the tank, and it’ll make the ice cubes for you, in the selected size.
Pros of Portable Ice Maker Machine
- They are Portable. Do I need to mention that? Hell Yeah! The Portable Ice Maker Machines are highly mobile. You can pick your ice maker and carry it anywhere you want. They are suitable for pool parties, barbecue parties, road trips in RVs and Boating.
- There is no need of having a separate water supply or drain line for the portable ice makers. This machines come with the reservoir to store the limited amount of water and don’t need to remove excess water. They make use of every drop of the water thus, no need of wasting any water.
- These machines have super fast ice making speed. Any popular ice cubes maker machine will be able to produce nearly 20-26 pounds of ice each day, which is enough for a small party. The machine will make enough ice cubes to host a simple household party.
Cons of Portable Ice Maker Machines
- The portable Ice maker machines are not so big compared to the industrial level ice makers. When you are a Hotel owner or a party person, then you may not get optimum performance from the mobile ice cubes maker machine. The machine takes the limited amount of water in its reservoir and makes the small number of ice cubes, enough for any small party. But when it comes to BIG parties, they are not just good.
- As these machines come with a reservoir to store water, they take the small amount of water. This may not be an issue to fuss about. But, you’ve to add water by your hand in a reservoir. When you need a constant supply of ice cubes, you should spend significant time feeling this machine with water.
What is Undercounter Ice Maker?
The Undercounter Icemaker machines are just the opposite of Portable ice maker machines in every manner, except for making Ice Cubes. The Undercounter Ice Maker is a big machine which can produce a significant amount of Ice cubes every day. These machines are opposite of the Portable ice makers in every manner. Except for making ice, these devices are exactly opposite.
The Undercounter ice makers are medium sized ice maker machines for quick ice cubes. These are bigger than the portable ice makers but small than the industrial sized ones. When you hear about the Built-in ice makers in the home, these are the ones that are fitted into the kitchen.
The Undercounter ice makers are very opposite of the Portable ice makers, Heavy, Partially Mobile and Bulky. But, they are as fast as the portable ice cubes maker machines. The Undercounter ice maker machines are specially designed for household use.
Pros of Undercounter Ice Maker
- The Undercounter Ice Maker machines are pretty big, But the main feature of these devices is the capacity to produce ice cubes. The undercounter machine is pretty big and can provide a significant amount of the ice cubes every day.
- Unlike portable ice machines, the undercounter ice machines have the water supply line. The engine gets constant supply from the dedicated line and doesn’t need us to refill it. Also, The drain pipe connection ensures the excess water drained out properly.
- The 24/7 ice supply is the biggest reason many people have the undercounter ice maker machines installed in their house. These machines can produce a huge amount of ice cubes every day, which is way more than any portable ice maker.
Cons of Undercounter Ice Maker
- The plus point of these machines is their minus point. Where the Big size of this machines gives us the added advantage, it becomes a headache when we try to move it from one place to another. The size of these machines is the plus point and the minus point.
- They consume a lot of space in your house. They are so big that you’ve to provide dedicated space to these machines. If you are living in the small house, then this is not a good thing for you.
- The undercounter machines need a separate water connection line and drainage line to drain excess water. This is a one-time procedure but is still a complicated task.
Portable or Undercounter ? Which one to choose?
Well, the decision depends on multiple factors. The Budget, Space, Needs, etc. When you need a constant supply of ice on special occasions, then the portable ice makers are perfect. They can produce decent amount of ice cubes per day. They are cheap, small and convenient to carry from one place to another.
But, if you have a need of constant supply of ice daily, then undercounter is suitable for you. The Undercounter machines can produce a lot more ice than the Portable ice maker machines. They are big in size and ready to produce huge amount of ice on daily basis.